Tips for Bcfg2 Development
- Focus on either the client or server code. This focuses the development process down to the precise pieces of code that matter for the task at hand.
- If you are developing a client driver, then write up a small configuration specification that includes the needed characteristics.
- If you are working on the server, run bcfg2-info and use to assess the code.
- Use the python interpreter. One of python’s most appealing features is interactive use of the interpreter.
- If you are developing for the client-side, run python -i /usr/sbin/bcfg2 with the appropriate bcfg2 options. This will cause the python interpreter to continue running, leaving all variables intact. This can be used to examine data state in a convenient fashion.
- If you are developing for the server side, use bcfg2-info and the “debug” option. This will leave you at a python interpreter prompt, with the server core loaded in the variable “bcore”.
- Use pylint obsessively. It raises a lot of style-related warnings which can be ignored, but most all of the errors are legitimate.
- If you are doing anything with Regular Expressions, Kodos and re-try are your friends.